The Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Bay Area (‘Greater Bay Area’ or GBA) is an initiative that will form a new chapter in South China’s history. The Greater Bay Area aims to bring together two Special Administrative Regions: Hong Kong and Macao with nine cities in Guangdong: Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Zhuhai, Foshan, Zhongshan, Dongguan, Huizhou, Jiangmen and Zhaoqing and combine the strengths of each city to build itself into a world-class city cluster that is positioned as an international technology and innovation hub with global influence, a pivot for the Belt and Road Initiative, a demonstration zone of deepened cooperation between Mainland China and the two Special Administrative Regions and a robust community for living, working and travelling. The GBA is set to become a major powerhouse that leverages each city’s strengths in a synergistic manner to drive trade and economic growth.
Trade in goods in 2019
GDP per capita in 2019
Combined GDP in 2019
Estimated GDP in 2030
The Outline Development Plan for the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area (‘Outline Development Plan’) promulgated in 2019 set out the basic principles, strategic positioning, development goals and space planning of the region in order to fully leverage the combined strengths of Guangdong, Hong Kong and Macao, deepen cooperation between Mainland China and the two Special Administrative Regions, and further enhance the GBA’s role as a spearhead of China’s economic development and opening-up.
• Leverage the strengths of Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Hong Kong and Macao to build the GBA into an international financial hub.
• Develop green finance and pilot FinTech
• Promote cross-border trading of financial products in the GBA at a measured pace, and diversify investment product categories and investment channels
• Promote investment facilitation, trade liberalization and easier flow of people and goods
• Jointly participate in the Belt and Road Initiative
• Accelerate the development and construction of key platforms such as Shenzhen Qianhai, Guangzhou Nansha and Zhuhai Hengqin to form a Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao cooperation and development platform
• Accelerate infrastructural connection and build a modern network of integrated logistics and transportation
• Establish a ‘Guangzhou-Shenzhen-Hong Kong-Macao technology and innovation corridor
• Promote advanced manufacturing and accelerate the development of hi-tech, innovation and R&D facilities
• Strengthen access to capital markets for technology companies
• Foster cross-boundary collaborations and the flow of talent and resources
• Establish an intellectual property exchange platform
• Establish next-generation information infrastructure and develop an energy security system
• Strengthen the GBA’s water infrastructure and flood management system
• Accelerate the development of advanced manufacturing and modern service industries, and promote smart manufacturing
• Develop digital economy and sharing economy, and promote inter-regional cooperation in digital and creative industries
• Strengthen regional cooperation in environmental protection across the GBA
• Develop innovative models for green and low-carbon development. Widely adopt experience from the pilot program of Carbon Generalized System of Preferences. Drive research and application of carbon label mutual recognition in the GBA
• Promote green technology and green manufacturing. Accelerate the creation of green industry system Establish demonstration zones for green development
• Develop the ocean economy
• Build a culturally appealing GBA by improving its system of public culture services and system of cultural and creative industries
• Create a tourist-friendly GBA, diversify tourism offerings, explore new travel routes in the area and develop its cruise market
• Provide quality healthcare service and brand the area as “Healthy GBA”
The GBA cities have individually achieved rapid growth throughout the last 40 years of China’s reform and opening up. Through regional integration and coordination of the GBA, its four major cities will become core engines for regional growth. Together with seven key node cities in the region, they will jointly contribute to rapid growth of the entire GBA.
Dongguan - An internationally renowned manufacturing base for multinationals
Zhongshan - A key city along China’s coastal economic belt and a major hub for R&D commercialization
Foshan- A key part of the Pearl River-West River economic belt and an important manufacturing center for Guangdong and China in general
Jiangmen - West hub of the GBA with a focus on developing five major emerging sectors, i.e. advanced equipment manufacturing and next generation IT, new energy vehicles, spare parts, health and new materials
Zhuhai - The only mainland Chinese city with road connections with both Hong Kong and Macao. A major tourism hub with a well-established industrial base
Zhaoqing - A popular tourist destination and a hub linking the GBA with China’s southwestern region
Huizhou- Green city and the east hub of the GBA with an array of well-developed industries including petrochemicals, electronic information and clean energy
*The products and services under Account Connect, Payment Connect, Service Connect and Credit Connect will be launched in batches, please stay tuned for more details.